In our previous article best shirt colour (part 1), we talked about the meanings white, blue, grey, and pink and tips in wearing shirts of these colours.
Looking for some untypical or less common colours?
THE COLOUR PURPLE/ VIOLET
Meaning of the colour purple/ violet:
- purple/ violet is a colour that inspires reflection and self awareness
- compassionate, sensitive, and intuitive soul
- also associated with characteristics of quality and luxury
Purple/ Violet shirts is suitable for:
- business presentations, if want to very deliver strong messages
- social-political entities, and/or religious leaders
Some tips in wearing purple/. violet shirts:
- avoid wearing too much purple/ violet, or it can invoke irritability and arrogance
THE COLOUR EMERALD / LIGHT GREEN
Meaning of the colour Emerald:
- lively, radiant and peaceful
- give a sense of well-being, balance, and harmony
- often associated with growth and sustainability
Emerald shirts is suitable if you’re working in…
- start-up companies
- non-profit organisations, or
- agricultural / environmentally-friendly companies
Some tips in wearing emerald shirts:
- avoid wearing emerald shirts with suits of dark colours
- pick suits of light colours such as light grey, or light blue instead
THE COLOUR BEIGE / LIGHT GOLD / YELLOWISH-BROWN
Meaning of the colour beige:
- beige is originally referred to natural wool that had not been bleached or dyed
- dependable, conservative, plainness
- offers some kind of warmth
Beige shirts is suitable for:
- dependable, down-to-earth people who do not want to attract too much attentions
- banking & finance people such as accountants, auditors
- clerical and secretarial staff
Some tips in wearing beige shirts:
- avoid beige in business meetings, if you’re the presenters. Sometimes, beige is regarded as dull and boring color
Where to get the shirts of different colours? Darmian prefers getting custom-made shirts from tailors to ready-made ones. Not only you can customise on the shirt colours and designs, but also for better fitness.
Here are a list of tailors offering custom-made shirts (and suits) in Hong Kong. Some Hong Kong tailors like L&K Bespoke Tailor, A-Timeless, and Milan Tailors do occasionally travel around the world (they will travel to your country!) to help people in different places to get measured up and buy their custom-made clothes. Get their latest travel schedule by contacting them with the “message” function.
Darmian S – Fashionista & Suit Enthusiast! Lover of local culture and exploring the secrets of the tailoring industry.